Enforcement will be introduced from 1 March 2021.
This was postponed to give affected businesses more time to meet the new standards as they face intense demands from the coronavirus pandemic.
From 1st March 2021, all HGVs more than 12 tonnes (GVW) entering or operating in Greater London will need to hold a valid HGV Safety Permit.
The HGV Safety Permit scheme will cover Greater London and be in operation 24 hours a day, every day of the year.
Applying is free of charge, but vehicles do need to meet minimum DVS star rating, which requires the HGV vehicle to have the below ‘Safe System’ equipment.
The requirements of the proposal include:
- Class V mirror shall be fitted to the nearside of the vehicle
- Class VI mirror shall be fitted to the front of the vehicle
- Blind spot elimination through a connected camera system
- Audible left-turn vehicle manoeuvring warning
- Proximity warning sensors installed on the near side of the vehicle
- External pictorial aids to warn vulnerable road users of the hazards of the nearside of the vehicle
- Sideguards fitted to both sides of a vehicle where possible
To assist our clients, a camera package has been created which will satisfy the requirements highlighted in RED above.
Please contact Safedrive for more details