As an extension to our popular advanced/defensive driving courses, Safedrive offers a bespoke winter driving course, which is available all year round, but is particularly popular from the months of September to February.
Our winter driving course is designed to help company become safer, more skilful drivers in adverse weather conditions, which are found in winter.
- Raise the awareness of the potential risks and hazards your driver/s are exposed to, both on and off road.
- Comply with the Provision and Use of Work Equipment Regulations
- Introduce or reinforce a number of techniques which, if implemented and practiced will create the safest driving environment for your drivers.
- Promote an enjoyable session where “best practice” skills can be developed by discussion, example and practical training.
Driving in poor weather conditions can be difficult and requires a high level of concentration, experience and skill. It is essential that you are confident in driving in poor weather, also that your car has been checked and safe to drive. Before setting out on any journey where poor weather is forecast it is essential that you listen to local radio reports, or find out about road conditions from various sources, and whether your journey is essential.
Poor weather conditions include:
- Ice and snow
- Heavy rain
- Low, bright sun
- Gale force winds
- Hot temperatures
During the interactive theory and practical in-vehicle session our Safedrive Assessor’s will coach your drivers on the following:
- How to prepare your vehicle for the journey
- Planning your journey
- Equipment and essentials that you should take with you
- How to avoid loss of car control
- What to do if you do lose control of your car
- Advanced observations, anticipation and planning
Training Ratio and Duration
The training ratio for this course is 1 participant to 1 Safedrive Assessor. The trainee / company are required to provide a suitable vehicle in a roadworthy condition and fully insured.
This course is a half-day practical course, 3 – 3½ hours duration.